Many of our adult patients come to us with the question: “How exactly can braces improve my overall health?” There are several health benefits that come with straight teeth. Especially after being treated by our very own Dr. Jim Watson here at Watson Orthodontics near Spring, TX! With picture-perfect smile end results, patients leave our office and go on to live happier and healthier lives.
5 Benefits of Having Braces
- Less plaque build-up. While crooked teeth can cause a buildup of plaque, straight teeth are easier to clean, meaning less plaque build-up. Whether the teeth are overlapping, overcrowded, or hard to reach, food (and thus plaque) may build up because it cannot be reached by a toothbrush or floss, and a buildup of food and plaque can lead to cavities, discolored teeth, and bad breath. More serious problems include: tooth decay and gum disease.
- Less Injuries. Crooked teeth chip and break more easily than teeth that are in alignment. Braces can correct any dental problem and ensure a healthy, straight, functional set of teeth for a lifetime.
- Less stress to the jaw bones. When teeth are crooked or crowded, the functionality of the jaw is compromised. This can lead to abnormal wear-and-tear on the teeth, cause discomfort or pain, and even exacerbate the rate of tooth decay. Chewing, biting and speaking abilities are optimized when you have straight teeth.
- More Self-Esteem. Getting braces from Watson Orthodontics and achieving straight teeth automatically boosts patients’ self-esteem! When your teeth are straight, your mouth is healthy, and your smile is bright, nobody can tell you nothing!
- A healthy mouth promotes a healthy body. There is medical evidence that supports the fact that poor oral health may contribute to a variety of physical maladies beyond the mouth including: diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and complications for pregnant women. Bacteria from the mouth can enter the bloodstream, the lungs, and the gut, thus affecting the entire immune system. Crooked teeth can also cause patients to have problems eating. When teeth are not aligned properly, it can be difficult to bite into hard or crunchy foods such as carrots or pretzels. This problem can cause patients to stop eating some foods, even if they are healthy and provide daily needed nutrition.
Braces can improve the quality of life for patients of Watson Orthodontics. If you are an adult living or working near Spring, TX, and who is looking for more information about how orthodontic treatment with braces can improve your overall health, contact us today!
Dr. Jim Watson and the team at Watson Orthodontics are experts in orthodontia. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign®, Invisalign Teen®, braces and/or clear braces in the 77429 zip code area: Cypress, Harris County, Houston, Spring, or Tomball, TX, or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Watson, contact Watson Orthodontics at: 281.955.7612